Top 10 States With the Highest number of Deer Hunters
- December 12, 2018
- By Todd Whitesel
Texas Tops Nation for Number of Deer Hunters in 2017
White-tailed deer are the most popular game animal in the United States. More than 10 million Americans hunted whitetails in 2016-2017, based on data from Quality Deer Management Association's (QDMA) Whitetail Report 2018*.
Deer hunting is a sacred tradition in many families, with the activity often spanning generations. For deer hunters, the year just isn't complete without a weekend at the hunting camp, prepping for a day in the woods and telling stories of hunts past.
Texas lead the nation in number of deer hunters in 2016-2017 with nearly 740,000 participants. The Lone Star State has also seen a 28% increase in deer hunters from 2006 to 2016, according to QDMA. Texas hunters also benefit from some 1 million acres of publicly accessible land.
Here's a rundown of the Top 10 States with the highest number of deer hunters.
Conversely, the states with the fewest number of hunters are displayed in the table below. Not surprisingly, diminutive Rhode Island is home to the fewest deer hunters in America. Nearby, and almost-as-small, Delaware has the second fewest deer hunters.
*QDMA data is based on direct data from state wildlife agencies. Forty-four of the lower 48 states responded to QMDA requests, with an estimate of just over10 million deer hunters for 2016-2017.
Editor’s Note: It’s easy to stay current with breaking product news, industry insights and marketing tips from Realtree, American’s No. 1 camo brand. Simply click here to sign up for our free newsletter, courtesy of the Realtree Business Blog!
Check our recent researches:
- Top 10 States With the Highest number of Deer Hunters
- 3 Trends Among Urban Hunters Will Surprise You
- Top 30 States with Most Active Duck Hunters in 2018
- Wide Range of Huntable Species in the U.S.
- 2018 Hunting License Sales Figures Bring Positive News
- Who is Today’s Rifle Hunter?
- A Closer Look at Youth Hunting and Shooting Participation
- Who is Today's Bowhunter
- 2018 American Waterfowl Population Estimated at Over 41 Million Birds
- Female Shooting Sports Participation Continues Strong Growth